On The Other Side Of Life
DIRECTED BY - Stefanie Brockhaus, Andy Wolff
Lucky and Bongani pretend to be cool and in the know. To survive in a Cape Town township, they learned their lessons early: where to get drugs, where to get money, how to pick up girls and how to get rid of them.
Their mother does not pay much attention to her sons, but at least their grandmother is on their side. The two brothers share everything: the bed, the food and now even an accusation of murder. The first thing they get in prison is an unmistakable lesson about the rules there. No question, newcomers are always at the bottom of the hierarchy. They must learn quickly who may be attacked and who must be served. A matter of survival in jail.
RUNTIME - 88 minutes
RATING - Not Rated
YEAR - 2010
- Boston International Film Festival 2010 (Boston, USA)
- Camden International Film Festival 2010 (Camden (United States))
- Encounters: South African International Documentary Festival 2010 (Cape Town, South Africa)
- Milano Film Festival 2010 (Milan, Italy)
- Munich International Documentary Film Festival 2010 (Munich, Germany)
- SXSW Film Festival 2010 (Austin, United States)
- True/False Film Festival 2010 (Columbia, United States)
- Liepzig DOK Festival 2009 (Liepzig, Germany)
- Emerging Cinematic Vision Award (Winner)
2010 Camden International Film Festival (Camden (United States))
- FFF Documentary Award (Winner)
2010 Munich International Documentary Film Festival (Munich, Germany)
- Jury Award (Winner)
2010 Milano Film Festival (Milan, Italy)
- Starter Film Award (Winner)
2010 Munich Film Festival (Munich, Germany)
"A perfect film about brotherhood and growing up. Patient and fair."
- Lindsay Mann, Director/Cinematographer for Beachwood Film
"The protagonists, sympathetic yet street smart, are unforgettable."
- Christopher Gray, Boston Pheonix
"A gorgeous portrait of two young men being thrust into adulthood in a beautiful place, tempered by the harsh, violent reality of life in the Darwinian society of a slum."